You don’t should be a Cubs fan to contemplate Wrigley Field a nationwide treasure. It’s been anointed so by the Division of the Inside. The north facet ballpark was named a Nationwide Historic Landmark just a few days in the past, full with an 8½ by 11″ certificates, appropriate for framing.
The proclamation signed by Scribbly McPenmanship lists the next explanation why the stadium is greater than only a place the place disappointment flows like $10 beers:
- Wrigley Discipline is the oldest standing Nationwide League ballpark and the second-oldest main league ballpark.
- Wrigley Discipline has been the house of the Cubs since 1916.
- Wrigley Discipline was as soon as the house of a profitable spots staff: The Chicago Bears.
- Wrigley Discipline is “nationally important in American historical past and tradition.”
- Wrigley Discipline has “distinctive nationwide significance within the historical past of American sports activities.”
- And most significantly: “Wrigley Discipline retains a excessive diploma of fabric integrity resulting from its steady use as a sports activities venue and because of current traditionally acceptable rehabilitation.”
The doc is definitely dated “17th day of September, the 200 and forty-fifth 12 months of independence of the USA of America.” However don’t strive writing that in your checks.
In a press launch, brazillionaire Cubs proprietor Tom Ricketts stated, “From our first day as homeowners, we dedicated to preserving Wrigley, which is able to now take its well-earned place within the lineup of American historical past and tradition as a nationwide treasure.” However don’t anticipate a break on these $10 beers. Kelly inexperienced paint doesn’t come low cost.
The press launch has extra info than the precise doc, with such tidbits as:
- Wrigley Discipline was the primary ballpark to place the concessions behind the stands.
- Wrigley Discipline was the primary ballpark outfitted with an organ to entertain the followers when the staff didn’t.
- The Cubs have been among the many first groups to have its video games broadcast on radio (1925).
- The Cubs have been among the many first groups to have its video games broadcast on tv (1946).
- Wrigley Discipline was the place baseball’s solely double no-hitter was performed.
- Wrigley Discipline was the house of the primary Nationwide Soccer League championship sport. Thirty-four years earlier than the primary Tremendous Bowl. Suck it, Inexperienced Bay.